Saturday 13 May 2023

A drop of blood, a blood red tear.

 


I have just finished my latest little red, which started as a red tear and developed into red woven teeth and  little red becoming a drop of blood/ blood tear.  Every time I set out on one of these works it is a surprise. I don't plan them completely, but just start playing with colour, pattern and texture of fabrics layering and playing and then the design grows, and as it grows so does this particular interpretation of the tale and its protagonists. After all these years I still cannot believe how versatile and complex this seemingly simple story is and how it reflects the human story of power, evil, love, death, life, kindness . . . 

This piece is approximately a meter square with sashiko background, my daughter is always bamboozled by the time and effort of the sashiko and wonders why I insist on it but those stitches  and the building of texture is very important to the process., a meditation on humanity that I seem to need.





No comments:

Post a Comment